Things You Never Knew Existed
Things You Never Knew Existed.com is the place to shop for novelties, gag gifts and hilarious t-shirts. We also offer magic tricks, novelty collectibles and bizarre toys, books and videos. Recycle
Friday, March 11, 2016
We have to change the clocks this weekend. I know "hate" is a strong word, but it's the only Thing that fits how I feel about the time changes. No matter which direction we go, I really hate it. Every time we reset the clocks, it takes at least two weeks for me to catch up. I'm sleepy and grumpy and I don't even feel like making jokes. In other words, I'm not myself. In fact, after a time change, I barely know who I am.

But I've learned to accept it and even appreciate the reason for it. So, in honor of the terrible day, here are 3 Things I Never Knew about Daylight Savings Time (DST):
  1. DST is not mandatory! But if your state does change, the Federal government requires it to change at the same time as all the others. 
  2. Arizona and Hawaii don't change their clocks. Those fine, sunny states are spared the horror of DST.
  3. Do you know why DST oversight belongs to the Transportation Department? The railroads. They were the reason we started standardizing clocks across the nation in the first place. 
Most of us already know that more daylight increases energy savings, decreases the number of traffic accidents and fatalities, and even reduces crime. So maybe two weeks of sleepiness, grumpiness and bad humor is a small price to pay to make the trains run on time, save energy and save lives. Still, it might be hard to convince me of that when I'm sleep walking for the next two weeks.

Get some rest. I'll see you next week.
Bobby

Posted by: Bobby | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.